Creamy Jerusalem Artichoke Soup
A great way to try Jerusalem artichokes
- RYVITA® Cracked Black Pepper
- 4 rashers of smoked streaky bacon, chopped
- 450g Jerusalem artichokes, peeled and cubed (put into acidulated water)
- 250g floury potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
- 1 stick of celery, chopped
- 75g unsalted butter
- 1 litre of vegetable or chicken stock
- 300ml double cream (optional)
- grate of nutmeg
- salt and black pepper
- olive oil
Firstly fry the bacon in a large saucepan over medium heat until the bacon is crispy. Remove the bacon from the pan and set aside, leaving the bacon grease in the pan.
Drain the artichokes and add to the pan with the bacon fat, along with the potatoes, onion, garlic, celery and the butter. Cook for 15 minutes, stirring regularly, until the vegetables begin to soften. Add the stock and simmer until the vegetables are soft, about 20 minutes longer.
Pour everything into a blender and blend until smooth. Pour the liquid through a sieve back into the pan. Add the cream if desired. Add nutmeg, salt and black pepper to taste and heat until warm.
Serve in bowls with Cracked Black Pepper Crispbread Ryvita broken up as croutons. Scatter the reserved bacon on top and drizzle a little olive oil. Crack some more black pepper on the top before serving.