Mark Sargeant's Sardine Escabeche on Mediterranean Herb Ryvita
‘Ryvita® is a great meal for spring – light, crisp and full of flavour. I can’t get enough of the New Ryvita® Mediterranenan Herb Crispbread with my sardine escabeche – it’s a perfect match, deliciously fresh and zingy!’ Mark Sargeant, Chef.
- RYVITA® Mediterranean Herb
- 12 Ryvita® Mediterranean Herb Crispbreads
- 12 sardines (butterflied with the backbone removed)
- 50g plain flour, seasoned with salt and pepper
- 150ml olive oil
- 85ml red wine vinegar
- 1 medium onion, sliced thinly
- 1 carrot, peeled and finely sliced
- 1 bulb fennel finely sliced
- 5cm strip orange zest
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary
- 1 fresh bay leaf
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 dried red chillies
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 small bunch fresh flat leaf parsley, chopped roughly
Gut, scale and remove the heads from the sardines, then dust them in the seasoned flour. Fry them in half the olive oil for 1 minute on each side then transfer to a shallow dish.
Add everything except the parsley and the remaining oil to the pan, bring to the boil and simmer for about 15 minutes. Add the parsley and the rest of the olive oil, pour the hot marinade over the sardines and leave until cold.
Place some of the vegetables on top of the Ryvita® Mediterranean Herb Crispbread and top of with the marinated sardines.